PAX, based in Utrecht (NL), is the leading Dutch peace-building and conflict-transformation NGO. We work for peace, reconciliation and justice in various conflict regions in the world. Our strategies are based on a twin-track approach, in close cooperation with our local partners: on the one hand we promote and facilitate civil-society driven dialogue and peace-building initiatives and on the other we seek to maximize an enabling environment for these through public campaigning and political lobby. Human security and human dignity are core values. A third objective is to mobilise the Dutch public for global peace-building issues. PAX combines knowledge, energy and people to attain one single objective: there must be peace!
In the Middle East, PAX supports grassroots peace-building initiatives and advocates for democratic and inclusive governments that respect citizens’ rights and international law. PAX cooperates with activists and organisations in Iraq, Yemen, Syria, Palestine, Israel and Lebanon.
For our Middle East Programme, PAX is looking to recruit a:
Project Officer Iraq (0,7 fte)
The Project Officer is based at the PAX headquarters in Utrecht. The Project Officer reports to the Project Lead Iraq. Part of the work will consist of supporting projects on legislative reform, and a project on transitional justice in Iraq. Also the Project Officer will support the implementation of the regional Musawat project on countering discrimination based on religion or belief, for which close coordination with the PAX Lebanon and PAX Israel-Palestine team is required.
- Supporting the implementation of current projects in cooperation with relevant colleagues and partners;
- Identification of project-derived opportunities, such as campaigns, new partners and new interventions that are relevant to the programme goal;
- Partner support, coordination between partners, and (mutual) capacity building;
- Contribute to the internal and external communication of the PAX Iraq programme;
- Contribute to the development of annual plans, reports, and external back-donor reporting where appropriate and required;
- Planning and organisation of workshops, conferences, seminars, roundtables and online events;
- Close cooperation with PAX Communication and Society team on specific interventions related to advocacy and public outreach;
- Logistic support for PAX offices, business trips and visits of Iraqi partners to the EU.
- Higher Professional Education, preferably in a relevant field such as Conflict Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, International Relations, Politics or Law;
- Project support and organizational skills, including at least 2 years relevant professional experience or relevant internships, preferably in or on the Middle East;
- Proven strategic and analytical skills – ability to make connections and see new opportunities;
- Fluent English speaker, including excellent writing skills;
- A solid understanding of the conflict situation in Iraq and the wider Middle East;
- Knowledge of Arabic (MSA and/or dialect), and substantive knowledge on topics as gender, conflict transformation, and transitional justice are considered a plus;
- A resourceful and pro-active professional attitude, able to work independently;
- Ability to work responsibly under pressure and in sensitive contexts;
- Capacity and willingness to travel to the Middle East;
- Eligible to work in the EU;
- Affinity with the work and mission of PAX.
- A position in a dynamic and highly international working environment with committed and enthusiastic colleagues;
- Place of employment: Utrecht, the Netherlands, mainly working from home (for now, due to Covid-19);
- An organization with budget and opportunities for personal development;
- One year contract for 25,2 hours per week (0,7 fte), with an option for renewal;
- Appointment starting as soon as possible;
- Pay scale 8 according to PKN terms and conditions of employment; depending on experience min. € 2.390,25– max. € 3.285,43 gross (for a fulltime position of 36 hours per week);
- 8% holiday-allowance;
- 8,3% end of year bonus;
- Full reimbursement of home-to-work travel costs, public transport 2nd class.
Interested candidates matching the profile and requirements are requested to send their CV (max 2 pages) and a motivation letter (max 1 page) in English addressed to Evert-Jan Grit (Team Coordinator Middle East) only by filling in the application form on the bottom of this page.
Closing date for applications to this position is Sunday 11 April 2021.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position.
Acquisition in response to this advertisement is not appreciated.
Blijf op de hoogte van het werk van PAX.
Schrijf je in voor onze nieuwsbrief.