PAX means peace. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned civilians worldwide, PAX works to build dignified, and peaceful societies across the globe.
We are looking for a
A creative and skilled Project Leader for the Lebanon program
(28,8 hours a week 0,8 fte)
Key words: Project management; peace; art; non-violence; advocacy; activism & community building.
PAX’s work in Lebanon focuses on mobilising young activists from different parts of the country. We work closely with Lebanese civil society organisations, who connect activists from different regions to co-develop plans and creative capacities to sustain collective activism and non-violent action. PAX creates space to bring communities together and hold authorities to account.
Culture and arts play an important role in PAX’s work in Lebanon as we believe it provides opportunities to build bridges across sectarian differences, to address histories of community trauma, and to imagine new futures. We work with partners that use different forms of culture and art (theatre; cinema; photography; music) to create inclusive safe spaces and work for peace.
This is complemented by advocacy towards (local, national and international) authorities to increase the protection space of marginalised groups. In this frame PAX has initiated Refugee Protection Watch, a project focusing on protection and return issues facing Syrian refugees by doing research and lobby.
Within all projects, inclusion, diversity, and gender equity are core values.
We are looking for a colleague who combines project management skills, knowledge of Lebanon, with creativity. We are looking for a person who has experience with, and knowledge of the use of culture and arts, for community building and activism. You can switch between activism, arts and engagement with more formal institutions. You understand conflict and conflict dynamics and have a vision on how art can play a role in changing these. You are a skilled communicator (Preferably fluent in both English and Arabic) who easily switches between projects and project partners and who has the flexibility to operate in a highly challenging, changing and fragile context. You can travel to Lebanon for longer periods of time on a regular basis or residing in Lebanon.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Project planning and ensuring implementation
- Communication and coordination with partners and PAX
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Budgeting & control
- Financial and narrative reporting and compliance
- Project design
Lobby & Advocacy and external communication
- Writing policy documents
- Organisation of advocacy events
- Maintaining a network of experts, policy makers and diplomats
- Project management skills, including relevant professional experience in a conflict setting for a local or international non-profit organisation
- Affinity with or knowledge of culture and arts in peacebuilding
- Knowledge of and experience with programming and advocacy on peacebuilding topics
- Up-to-date and deep understanding of the situation in Lebanon and the wider Middle East
- Ability to work under pressure, able to work individually as well as in a team
- Cultural sensitivity; open and tolerant attitude towards others
- Conflict- and gender-sensitivity in work approach and implementation
- Fluency in English (including excellent writing skills) is a requirement
- Proficiency in Arabic is a plus, and working proficiency in Dutch is a bonus
- Good communication and analytical skills
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances, inventive and assertive attitude
- Endorsement of PAX’s mission and values
- Affinity with PAX’s identity
- A dynamic position in a high-paced informal international working environment in a committed team
- Budget and opportunities for personal development
- One year contract for 0,8 FTE 28,8 hours per week with option for renewal
- Appointment starting per 1 February 2021
- Attractive salary and benefits
Information and application
If you are interested: send a motivation letter of maximum one page clearly referring to the position, and to peace work and culture & arts. Also send your CV , no longer then 2 pages. Creativity is appreciated. CV and letter should be in English. letters and cv's that do not match the above criteria will not be considered. You can submit only by using the application form on our vacancy-webpage. Letters should be addressed to Evert-Jan Grit, team coordinator.
Closing date for this position is 8 January 2022.
The first job interviews will be held on the 26th of January 2022.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds to apply for this position.
Acquisition in response to this advertisement is not appreciated.
Reageer op deze vacature
Reactie datum is verstreken per 08 januari 2022.
Blijf op de hoogte van het werk van PAX.
Schrijf je in voor onze nieuwsbrief.