PAX means peace. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned citizens worldwide, PAX works to build just and peaceful societies across the globe.
PAX is the largest peace organization in the Netherlands and one of the larger worldwide. We work for peace in conflict affected countries where war is raging or where society has been disrupted by violence. In the Middle East, Africa, Europe and Latin America PAX stands side by side with local partners from the affected communities to jointly strive for the resolution of conflict and for transitional justice. In addition, PAX campaigns against trade and investments in weapons and arms such as nuclear weapons, cluster munitions and killer robots.
Advocacy is at the core of PAX’s work. The Public Affairs team coordinates and implements advocacy in collaboration with country and thematic specialist teams, and our civil society partner organisations from around the world. The Public Affairs team targets in particular UN and EU institutions and representation of member states through its’ liaison offices in New York and Brussels, and policy makers and politicians in the Netherlands. PAX aims to continuously strengthen advocacy strategies and skills of both PAX staff and partners.
We are urgently looking for a:
Advocacy and Capacity Strengthening Officer (0.8 to 1 fte)
Maternity leave replacement for 6 months (July to December 2022)
You are committed to peace, to prevention and solution of armed conflict and to supporting civil activists in conflict-affected countries. You have experience both in international advocacy and capacity strengthening with organizations in the global north and south. You understand power and enjoy advocacy. You are eager to help others, partners in the Middle East and Africa and colleagues, to develop and strengthen their advocacy strategies and skills. You are a flexible team player, and you enjoy handling multiple tasks and issues.
The position is temporary (partially as a replacement for maternity leave of the advocacy capacity strengthening officer) and includes responsibilities for PAX’ advocacy capacity strengthening as well as implementation of international advocacy. Capacity strengthening is an integral part of PAX programming with partners in conflict affected regions and part and parcel of the by the Dutch government funded Strengthening Civil Courage program. The implementation of advocacy is related to a joint program with Syrian partners on House, Land and Property rights (HLP) in Syria.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Advocacy capacity strengthening
- Assessing the needs of partners to strengthening their capacities for advocacy;
- Supporting the planning, implementation and monitoring of advocacy capacity strengthening activities of partners;
- Contributing to the further development of our advocacy methodologies, such as Evidence Based Advocacy and the development of a Basic Course on Advocacy for PAX staff and partners as part of the PAX Academy.
Implementation of HLP advocacy
- Advising and strategizing the advocacy strategy of the HLP project with partner organizations – assisting in development of capacity is an integral part;
- Implementation and facilitation of advocacy on HLP in Syria with Syrian partners towards EU and UN, in close cooperation with the UN and EU advocacy officers and Syria team;
- Developing advocacy outputs for the HLP project.
- Strong understanding and experience in capacity strengthening;
- Strong understanding and experience in (international) advocacy, preferably towards EU or UN institutions;
- Strong understanding of and work experience in the field of peacebuilding, human rights or refugee policies, (work) experience in a conflict-affected country is an advantage;
- Proven experience and skills in working with colleagues or partners from around the world;
- At least five years of relevant work experience;
- University degree or comparable level (Political Science, Conflict Studies, International Law or other relevant studies);
- Strong communication and editorial skills;
- Willingness to travel internationally to program countries;
- Endorsement of the mission and core values of PAX;
- Excellent command (both verbal and written) of English. Other global languages such as French or Arabic are useful;
- Eligible to work in the EU.
- A fascinating challenge, a cutting-edge task, a dynamic and international working environment;
- Place of employment: preferably Utrecht (Netherlands) or Brussels (Belgium);
- Appointment for 28.8 (0.8 FTE) to 36 hours per week (1 FTE), for a six-month period (July – December 2022);
- Salary scale 10 according to PKN terms and conditions of employment (depending on experience min. € 2.571,83 – max. € 4.350,10 gross, for a fulltime position of 36 hours);
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end of year bonus;
- Full reimbursement of home-to-work travel costs of 2nd class public transport;
- Employment on consultancy basis is also an option.
Information and application
For further information on our organization: www.paxforpeace.nl.
Interested candidates matching the profile and requirements are requested to send their CV (max. 2 pages) and a motivation letter (1 page) in English addressed to Jan Jaap van Oosterzee, head of Public Affairs, solely by using the application form at the bottom of our vacancy-webpage.
Closing date for reactions to this vacancy announcement is June 13th 2022.
PAX endeavours to work in a way that is inclusive, anti-racist and feminist. PAX stands for equal opportunities and participation for everyone with the right skills and experience. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position. Please let us know if there are accessibility or other requirements you would like us to accommodate during the application process.
Acquisition in response to this advertisement is not appreciated.
Reageer op deze vacature
Reactie datum is verstreken per 13 juni 2022.
Blijf op de hoogte van het werk van PAX.
Schrijf je in voor onze nieuwsbrief.